Can I do dieting while feeding my baby?

I've a 10 month old baby and i am still feeding. Any ideas on whether I can diet during this time?

Comments

• HI Anuradha,

Dieting, per say, while nursing, is not a good idea. Do not skip meals. With a new baby, many new moms forget to eat. If you do not eat, you will have less energy, and it will not help you lose weight. Also, production of milk will be less. It will hamper your baby's growth and deplete you of your nutritional stores. Instead, you can make the following changes instead of dieting during feeding your baby.

Some dietary tips which can help you during this phase of life are 

1. Spread food throughout the day to meet energy needs. Eat 5 to 6 small meals a day with healthy snacks. Make sure you start your day with a healthy breakfast.
    2. Criteria for weight reducing diets are deficient in energy, easily adapted from family meals, add sufficient bulk to provide satiety.
    3. Slow down. When you take your time eating, you will notice that it is easier to tell that you are full. It is tempting to multitask, but if you focus on your meal you will be less likely to overeat.
    4. Foods to be used in restricted amounts or avoided are high fat foods, high carb foods like cookies, jams, potatoes, and carbonated and malted beverages like fruit juices and alcoholic drinks.
    5. When you reach for a snack try to include foods with fiber and protein to help keep you full (such as raw bell pepper or carrot with bean dip, apple slices with peanut butter, or a slice of whole-wheat toast with hard-boiled egg). 
    6. Drink at least 12 cups of fluid a day - Keep a water bottle near the spot where you usually feed the baby, that way you'll remember to drink when they do.
    7. Choose whole fruit over fruit juice and broiled or baked rather than fried foods.
    8. Limit sweets, sugar, saturated fat and trans fats.

Keep healthy and eat well! Take care,

Gauri.